11. That We Don't Create Scandal Everywhere

Friday, June 11, 2010 11:39am

With the W0rld Cup starting today, I was concerned that I wouldn't be in the right frame of mind to post today, but I managed to find a little nugget that made me smile to myself that I just had to share with you guys.

Iceland approved gay marriage today. I realize that on its own that is exciting news, but it gets better. The vote was unanimous in our favor--one political scientist of the island nation described the issue as not being a big deal or controversial.

It warms my heart that in on an island of 320,000 people, there wasn't a major protest or a big media war, but rather with more of a whimper than a KABOOM, we found another place to get married.

It is notable that Iceland is the only nation on the planet with an openly gay head of state. In 2009, the nation elected a lesbian Social Democrat as prime minister of the nation. Go Iceland!

0 comments:

Search