7. That Companies Are Working for OUR Money

Monday, 7, 2010 11:47 am

Those of you, who know me well, know that try my best to purchase according to HRC's Buying for Equality. This guide is a kind of consumer report card that shows how LGBT friendly companies are (Want to have it with you always? Don't worry, there's an app for that!). Caitlin and I do our best--despite our limited finances--to give our money to companies that score higher and not spend our money at places that don't accommodate. This means that I haven't had Kellogg's products or eaten at a Cracker Barrel in years--we aren't perfect though, we patron Wal-Mart far more than I'd like.

I do think that putting our money where our mouth is, is very important--after all in a capitalist society money can often speak louder than even our vote--but what I find to be particularly incredible about Buying for Equality is seeing that most of the companies have made upward progress--of course there are some companies that simply refuse (Dominoes, Cracker Barrel, Chick-Fil-A, FedEx/Kinkos, etc.)--but for the most part many have made strides to improve their attitudes toward our community. Some have even gone as far to become donors to HRC (Shell Oil, Bank of America, Tylenol, and more).

Even beyond the donations to HRC and BFE scores, I have noticed more and more gay ads from major companies. My freshman year in college, I was visiting my aunt in New York, and we got to see a popular ad that had been running for Levis--only this time it was a cute boy in the elevator and not the cute girl. Some are more tucked away like the Orbitz commercial with the golfers, one is wearing an HRC pin on his shirt (they too are donors); some have funny subtitles; and some are in French.

By now, most of you have seen the gay ad that McDonald's in showing in France as part of their "Come As You Are" Campaign. This is the first fast food commercial to feature LGBT themes, and I think it's really cool that a company that has so many different locations across the globe is interested in our business, and yes, Bill O'Reilly, it does make me want a Big Mac. That's right, bloggers, I can't offer you fries, but have some righteous rage with that.

Post by Gabby


Comment


Labels: , , , , ,

0 comments:

Search