19. That We Are Included

Saturday, June 19, 2010 3:20pm

Short post today since I'm feeling under the weather and heading off to work. Today's post and tomorrow's are going to be based around fatherhood since it's Father's Day Weekend.

I was sitting in a class that features local filmmakers and teachers coming in and out and sharing what they are working on, how they got where they are, where they hope to be, etc. when the head of my department--a man, who I love and admire deeply--spoke about presidents, who changed the country as we know it. He was writing an article about Presidents Lincoln, Kennedy, and Obama and their personal lives. This was of particular interest since President Obama is a president, who puts so much emphasis on the importance of fatherhood. He takes such care with media exposure when it comes to his family and takes great pride in his two beautiful daughters. I really reflected on this and how wonderful it really was that fatherhood is really being celebrated in our culture--and not the classic bread winning, no-nurture/no-nonsense epitome of masculinity that post-war America celebrated.

My own father takes his duties as a parent very seriously, and always tried to be the kind of father I imagined that he wanted--his own father left his family when my father, his brother and sister were relatively young. He never hesitated to give us the love and affection that he thought children should receive, and I was always grateful for that.

President Obama took the time to issue a proclamation about Father's Day, and the importance of fathers and fatherhood. In it, he mentions that families come in many shapes and sizes and that children may grow up with a step-father, no father, or even two fathers. I am honored (proud even) to have a president, who takes the care and time to recognize that ALL families matter.

0 comments:

Search