Monday, June 14, 2010 5:00pm

Often, situations that require men to be seen as especially "masculine" are breeding grounds for gay slurs. In these situations calling another male anything that hints at an identity outside of the hetero-normative "ideal" leads to a violent response--perhaps, to reaffirm his masculinity. It is because of this that we are most surprised when an athlete comes out, but I found myself even more surprised when I read this story.

Swedish soccer star, Freddie Ljungberg of the Seattle Sounders, has had an incredible career in the global game, which includes playing for his home country, two English Premier League Clubs, a club in Sweden, and of course the MLS team that he currently represents here in the USA. In addition to his career on the pitch, Ljungberg was asked to model for Calvin Kline and was also voted Best Dressed Man in Sweden in 2002.

Ljungberg is 33, single, and lives alone. He has been quoted as saying things like he appreciates the "serenity and privacy" that living in Seattle has afforded him. These things coupled with his excellent style--and conjecture that soccer is inherently homosexual--make for great rumors.

Speculation has surrounded Ljungberg for years, and now he's talked about it to the press. While, he gave the standard keeping my private life private response, Ljungberg did something really cool too. He said, "There’s been a gay rumor for a long time. I don’t mind at all. I am proud of that. I love fashion, and I think so many gay people have amazing style. So that is a compliment to me. I really don’t know why people are so interested. I just made a decision that I won’t talk about it."

For those of you, who didn't see it, a professional athlete said he was HONORED that gay rumors surround him. Yes, I am aware that it was because of the stereotype that gay people have excellent style, but that's one stereotype I'm willing to take with a smile and a nod. ;-)

0 comments:

Search